1 October 2015

Thunderwolf Cavalry w/ Thunder Hammer, painted

Back when I first (re)started my 40k hobby a couple of years back, I briefly considered just making simple green grass bases. Good thing I didn't, because I find it really difficult to come up with a solid reason why Space Wolves would be fighting on a golf course.
The importance of bases is brought into a sharper focus when the model is just large enough to need a 60 mm base, but not large enough to just dominate it with their presence. Thunderwolf Cavalry is a great example. The wolves' legs are long and slim enough to show plenty of the base underneath. It's an invitation to make interesting scenic bases.
 I admit, there were times when I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew when I decided to give the Thunderwolf mounts barding. However, it turned out fine, at least in this case: the armour plates look straight enough to be what they are meant for, and the helmet looks fine, too.
 The combination of satin and gloss varnishes gave the metal parts a really nice, dark shade, and the red of the storm shield and the thunder hammer's grip give the otherwise dark model some nice contrast.
 The corpse on the ground ended up looking good, as well. Obviously, the skeleton is too large to be that of a normal human, which gives it an air of mystery and leaves one guessing why a Space Marine would have taken off his armour and died on the frozen wasteland the fight takes place on.

No comments:

Post a Comment