8 October 2015

Wolf Guard Pack Leader, painted

I have struggled with painting flesh in the past. I tried using the same method I use for painting everything else, ie. painting a layer or two, shading with ink and highlighting, usually by drybrushing, but the effect has always been somewhat blotchy. This time, I took a more subtle route, by just using the same fleshtone paint for highlighting I had used for the initial layers. I did end up blending it with a lighter shade, but even before that, the results were far better than before.
 Forgeworld's Legion Combi-Plasma doesn't have the magnetic accelearation coils shown on other plasma weaponry, so I decided to put the blue glow on the seam between the bolter and plasma weapon part.
 I wanted to add some bronze highlights on the model's bionic leg, instead of just painting it in steel/iron tones throughout. This makes the model look more interesting.
The knotwork pattern on the helmet's crest was largely a happy accident. At first, I just tried to paint a pattern yellow X's, but noticed that by adding a few thin black lines, I can make it into a knotwork pattern. I'm very happy with the result.

Having just now learned to paint flesh, I probably will have to go back and redo a few earlier models. I'll probably end up showing them in a single update in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment