19 November 2015

Thunderwolf Cavalry in Mk.IV Armour, painted

You could say I really took my time with this one, though the three months it took between the first time I blogged about the model and now isn't very long at all, compared to the year and a half it took from buying the Thunderwolf Cavalry kit to finishing two thirds of it (the final third is pretty close too, btw).
 I ended up doing fairly little more to the model after the previous post. The most recognisable change was probably changing from the chainaxe I sculpted to a chainsword, which I ended up painting as a frostblade. I did improve the mount's barding somewhat, too, adding a plate to the back of its neck and made the helmet more substantial and symmetrical.
 I also added a couple of small armour plates with runes to the Thunderwolf's hind legs. Other than this, I decided the model was ready for painting.
As usual, the rider's head had the old sculpt syndrome, where his face was not as symmetrical and clean a sculpt as I would have liked. The transition from lower lid to eye was somewhat unclear, and one eye was significantly larger than the other. This may not be so clear from the distance models are usually viewed from, but definitely visible on closer examination. I didn't want to redo the head, though, mostly because I was pretty satisfied with his mouth, beard and hair. 
For the glowing runes on the storm shield, I used thinned-down Temple Guard Blue. I intentionally left it somewhat smudgy, to give the impression of glowing. I might still paint them clean white later on.
At first, I thought I'd just have him wield a close combat weapon, but the double-bladed chainsword has been shown as an example of a frostblade in the codex, and I didn't want to waste the opportunity. To get the message across clearly, I painted the teeth in Caledor Sky, drybrushed with Temple Guard Blue and highlighted with white. I also used the same method for the runes on the flats of the blade as for the ones on the storm shield.
The base was painted in my usual manner: Mourn Mountain Snow lightly brushed over Stirland Mud, finished with grass tufts and modelling snow. The rocks are painted with Mechanicum Standard Grey, shaded with Nuln oil and drybrushed with Dawnstone.
The first post of this model

No comments:

Post a Comment