5 November 2015

Arjac's Shieldbrother with Bionics, painted

I took more risks than usual with this one. The model presented with a challenge to  begin with, having one half of the face bionic and the other natural (relatively speaking). Then, I decided that his shield should be white, instead of red or black, as with the previous two Shieldbrothers.
 White is a fairly demanding colour to shade and highlight. Using inks or shades, it's very easy to just have the end result looking dirty. Also, since you can't really have a piece be brighter than white, highlighting is challenging. I ended up just applying a little Nuln Oil by the rims, and that seems to work well enough.
 I decided to make the cabling to the Thunder Hammer stand out, so I applied the yellow-black pattern I usually use with my Mechanicum models. I also wanted to give the hammer a powered look, so I used thinned down Temple Guard Blue.
Another little touch was the knotwork pattern. I am relatively satisfied with it. Overall, the paintwork could afford to be a little cleaner, but considering what I set out to do, ie. make the model look unique and stand out from GW's stock models, I think I could call it a success.
See the model before painting

No comments:

Post a Comment