12 January 2016

Rune Priest in Terminator Armour, painted

As I have mentioned before, I really like the look of the Indomitus-pattern Terminator armour. Its helmet design looks appropriately angry, and the armour looks massive enough to seem forbidable, but not so massive as to be ridiculous (I'm not saying Space Marine Centurions, but... actually, yes, I am saying Space Marine Centurions).
Generally speaking, the way I see Space Wolves, they prefer to go bare-headed. In part, this is because their helmets would hinder their use of their extraordinary senses, but also because they want to be recognized when they do something worthy of a saga. Decorating your helmet may help with this, but nothing really compares to have your actual face associated with a great kill. Both of these factors would go double for Wolf Guard, who would have learned to really rely on their senses, and who would also want to be recognized as their jarl's greatest warriors. That's why I rarely got the chance to model Terminators with their helmets on, until I came up with the idea of modelling all of my Void Claws and the associated Rune Priest with the battle helmet on.
 The colour scheme turned out simple and effective, with mostly Space Wolves grey armour and deep red pauldrons, weapon coverings and decorations, such as the loincloth and shield. I didn't want to make the model look too busy with too much decorative patterns.
I wanted the gem on the Crux Terminatus to contrast with the deep red of the pauldron, and chose greenish-blue finish. The red glow on the Rune Axe's runes was accomplished with Evil Sunz Scarlet thinned down with Lahmian Medium.
I painted the skull on the right pauldron with bronze, since it complements the deep red of the pauldron well. The wolftail talisman was painted with Rhinox Hide, then drybrushed with Doombull Brown, Stormvermin Fur, Dawnstone and finally Longbeard Grey.

With the Rune Priest painted, the only model missing from my Void Claws force is the Cyclone-armed model (though the Rune Priest isn't actually a part of the formation itself). 

No comments:

Post a Comment