8 January 2016

Imperial Chapel, first pieces

As I mentioned last week, I got a hold of some foamboard, or foamcore, to be more precise, and am now starting a project to build something out of it.
I haven't previously worked with the stuff, so this playlist on TerrainTutor's channel on YouTube helped immensely with getting started.
As I mentioned it might be, my first project is going to be an Imperial chapel for 40k. As with many projects, the first thing to do was research. I ended up loosely basing my chapel-to-be on the Gothic chapel in Peterhof.
 The white foamcore board in front of the white background isn't very clearly visible, but there's not much yet to see, anyway. This is the front wall of the chapel, with a quinto acuto arch on the doorway (the center of both arcs is one fifth of the width short of the opposite edge).
 The windows on the intact side (one of the walls will be mostly collapsed, to gve access to the building) are similar to the recto style (the centers of the archs one fourth forward from the opposite edge), but I used five as the number instead of four.
 The collapsed side, with a partially collapsed tower. Two of the towers will be damaged, while the other two will be intact. The two damaged ones will be on either side of the collapsed wall. The roof will be about half collapsed, possibly more, depending on how much room is needed so that about a normal-sized hand can fit in the building to move the models.
The back wall will have a large, round window, with a catwalk or a ledge behind it so that it can be used as a firing position. Round, decorative windows are very typical to gothic style architecture.

There's a lot more to do, but those are the four walls, around which the chapel will be built. I have no idea how long this project will be, but I plan to sculpt at least one major statue, possibly three or more, to decorate it, in addition to the building itself. I haven't decided on a schedule yet, but considering how fragile the foamboard and how dangerous place my desk is, I think it will have to be completed in a fairly short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment