23 August 2015

Rune Priest in Mk.V Power Armour

As far as looks go, Mark V "Heresy" may well be my second-favourite version of the Astartes power armour patterns, just behind "Indomitus" Tactical Dreadnought Armour, or what most people just call Terminator armour. The studs and cabling give it a suitably rough appearance, and the helmet looks mean.
In the fluff, the pattern is mentioned to be unpopular among loyalist chapters and that it may cause suspicion among the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition. Considering their history, I figured the Space Wolves wouldn't be too concerned if either of these groups happen to like what they're wearing.
 The first thing I sculpted was the psychic hood. I wanted it to have a rough appearance, similarly to the armour pattern. I decided on a relatively angular form, as if it was made of two rectangular pieces bent to shape, and added studs to it to complete the rough look.
I also had to "wolfify" the standard pattern armour a little, so I sculted a wide belt, a wolftooth necklace and a some tooth totems and a pouch to hang on his hip. There's also a wolftail talisman hanging from his left knee.
 The runic sword was sculpted out of a layer of ProCreate to create the main form, and sandwiched between two layers of Green Stuff, into which I sculted the runes. I wanted the sword to have a Viking look to it, so I made the pommel and the crossguard about equally wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment