28 February 2016

Wulfen with Frost Claws and Stormfrag Auto-Launcher

It's not March yet, but I managed to get my hands on a Wulfen kit earlier than I hoped. Unsurprisingly, I started working on it pretty much immediately. The kit itself is pretty nice, with high level of detail and relatively large number of various options. There are alternative ways to assemble models to those shown in the instructions, though it takes some trial and error to find them, unless you're willing to use green stuff, which I am. 
A video by TemplarsCrusade01 on YouTube was what actually convinced me that I could start with the kit and end up with something distinct. Had I not seen that, I'd probably have been more conservative with the way I ended up posing the models.
 The starting point for the model is Wulfen #2 from the assembly manual, but after gluing the torso to the legs, I heated the model in my oven for a short time (heating plastic models for reposing them is pretty risky, and ending up with a ruined, shapeless lump of plastic is a very real possibility) and twisted it to the shape I wanted. I also repositioned the arms slightly, and used green stuff to fill in the gaps. The end result ephasizes the Wulfen's speed and ferocity.
Finally, I added a short piece of chain for decoration, gluing a wolf skull from my bits box and one of the medallions supplied in the kit on it.
 I decided I wanted the Wulfen to tie in my 40k and 30k Space Wolves, latter of which will be started at some point in the future. To this end, I decided to give all the Wulfen in this pack at least a Mk. II left shoulder pad. In the book, the Wulfen are stripped of all the remaining pieces of their power armour, which I didn't really like. So, I elected to ignore that particular piece of fluff and decided that my Wulfen would be otherwise re-equipped, but keep the shoulder pads bearing their ancient Great Company badges.
The thin pieces of cabling didn't survive the conversion process, so I resculpted them. The Wulfen's foothold piece of ground warped slightly during the heating and reshaping, so I used green stuff to fill in the gap.
Generally speaking, I'm pretty satisfied with the model. I may add a couple of wolf teeth to the chain over his chest and other stuff like that, but nothing major, as I'm pretty impatient to get these painted. I'd expect I'll have my first pack modelled and painted in a relatively short time, and am pretty sure this one won't be my only pack of Wulfen.

No comments:

Post a Comment