16 February 2016

Ninth Redmaw Grey Hunter, painted

My heavy infantry killer Grey Hunter pack is nearing completion, with just the second plasma gunner left to finish. I have accumulated quite a few extra Space Marine and Space Wolf bits, and Grey Hunters are pretty much the best possible use for those. I am running low on Space Wolf bits other than heads, though, so I may have to buy one of the new boxes with the 32 mm bases.
 Apparently, my can of varnish is getting glossier towards the end. It may be time to replace it. Other than that, the miniature is a fairly standard Space Marine with a Thunderwolf Cavalry torso and head, and Mk. II arms. I added a transfer to the legs to wolfify it a little. I chose to paint the model as another redhead, as you can't really go wrong with red manes on Space Wolves.
 The helmet has a sawtooth marking on its crest, which doesn't really show that clearly here. His pack marking is the same as on all other members of his pack (obviously, that's what it's for).
Another little touch I wanted to add to the model was the decorative pattern on his vambrace. It's not huge, but it catches the eye.
As a bonus, I thought I'd explain my method of freehanding the Redmaws Great Company badge. I start by painting with a triangle in black, with slightly caved-in sides. The "fangs" on the bottom don't necessarily have to be added at this stage. Then, I add another, slightly smaller caved-in triangle on top of the first one, with two or three small "hairs" on the top. To finish it off, I add two white slits for the eyes and paint the red on the maw and in the blooddrops in Mephiston Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment