22 May 2016

Wolf Guard Pack Leader with a Power Spear and a Storm Shield

Spear is a very underrepresented weapon in fiction, particularly in newer fantasy worlds, despite being the most commonly used weapon in human history (and prehistory). In contrast, large two-handed swords that were historically only used for a few decades in the early Renaissance period are ubiquitous in fantasy games, novels etc.
Historically, swords were usually not a warrior's primary weapon, but a sidearm that could be easily worn as a backup, in case they lost their main weapon, which more often than not was some sort of spear, or at least a polearm that involved a stabbing projection.
While axes and swords are often associated with the historical vikings, the weapons they most often used were spears and boss-held, flat, round shields, with the more wealthy among them sometimes having a sword as a backup. While the rules of 40k don't allow me to field a unit of Spave Wolves with spears and shields (well, maybe Wolf Guard), I wanted to have at least a model or two with the closest equivalent to the historical viking armament. Plus, I had some leftover storm shields from my (first) Wulfen kit.
The model was mostly made of bits left over from other kits, instead of a lot of green stuff. I considered sculpting a custom head for the model, but I'm planning to use the model as a Blood Claw Pack Leader, and I thought having a helmeted Wolf Guard among them would make for some interesting contrast. Besides, I like the look of the wolf helmet on the Space Wolves accessory sprue, and I wanted to use it for something.
The Wulfen storm shields fit power armoured models reasonably easy. I did add a little green stuff on the hand holding the spear and sculpted a gauntlet on it, but knowing it won't usually be very visible, I left it reasonably simple.
 This was the first model I used one of the new Forgeworld's Space Wolf shoulder pads. I opted for the Mk.II model, partially because I already had a few empty Mk.II shoulderpads left to go with them, but mostly because they look more interesting than the somewhat plain Mk.IV plates and aren't as overtly bulky as the Mk.III model.
The legs are from a resin Mk.V kit. I heated them in hot water to get them to fit the base. The ease of reposing is one of the reasons I rather like resin models.
The wolf cloak from the new accessory pack happened to be flaring in an appropriate direction for the model, so I decided to use that as well as the helmet.
The spear the model is holding is simply made from a length of steel wire covered with a thin layer of green stuff, with a spearblade sculpted to one end.
The model does look pretty good, at least prior to painting, even if power spear isn't exactly a devastating weapon in game, and is inferior to frost blade in every way except for the points cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment