20 May 2016

The Blackmanes' First Skyclaw, painted

Miniwargaming recently made a video on painting a darker (olive) skintone. Since I happened to have nearly all of the paints used in the video, I decided to give it a shot. Most of my Space Wolves have a fairly pale skin, and since I don't like to make clone troopers, I found this welcome.
I like the way the slightly darker skintone worked out. Because Skyclaws are to other Blood Claws what Blood Claws are to Grey Hunters as far as impulse control goes, I decided the model should be  a little more feral-looking and painted some runic tattoos on his skin.
 I was originally going to paint The Blackmanes' company badge on the left kneepad, but it slipped my mind, and I ended up repeating the pack marking there instead. I don't consider this to be a huge loss, as he still has Ragnar Blackmane's army badge on his right kneepad, showing that he knows whose orders he's expected to follow (as far as Skyclaws are expected to follow orders anyway), and Ragnar is probably okay with not being quite as associated to a Skyclaw. Likewise, the Skyclaw himself might somewhat resent all authority, even a role model such as the Young King.
I intended to take the pack marking straight from the Codex, but made a slight mistake. The model is supposed to be a member of Dreskor's Skybolts, but the marking is supposed to look like a thunderbolt, not an "S". I'm not sure if I'll end up correcting that, though. After all, the markings in the Codex only apply to the specific troops present at one particular battle, and armies go through Skyclaw packs fairly quickly, so it's entirely plausible that Dreskor and his packmates were taken out in a following battle soon after and another pack taking their place. That said, it's also entirely possible this ends up bothering me so much that I change it before moving on to the next model in the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment