29 May 2016

Hrolf Longspear with a Power Spear and a Storm Shield, painted

Once I started using the pack markings from the codex, I found that it also enables me to name many my models, in this case, a Wolf Guard Pack Leader. In the fluff (as I interpret it), the packs are led by either a vaerangi picked among them and elevated to a position equal to that of a Wolf Lord's bodyguard, or the Wolf Lord appoints his bodyguards to lead his less experienced troops. The Codex mentions Hrolf Longspear being among Ragnar Blackmane's Wolf Guard, and since the name fits the model's armament, I decided to go for it.
Since power spears are at their most powerful on charge, I decided this model should lead a pack of Blood Claws, also at their best on charge. Admittedly, the model's wargear is fairly expensive, and somewhat contradicts the expendable nature of the Blood Claws, but I make the models first and then decide how to make it work, if I can make it work.
Since the model was wearing his helmet for a change, I was tempted to go crazy with the individual decorations, but since Wolf Guard can only get more recognition by succeeding their lord as the head of the company and then by succeeding the head of the Chapter, I decided he wouldn't be that concerned with gaining more reputation. His choice of weaponry would support this, as a spear and a shield are more professional soldier's armament than they are a glory hound's means for flashy kills.
I painted some more recognisably Viking-style patterns on the crest part of the helmet. I may make a post on these at some point, too.
The very thin grooves in the shield made filling them with paint somewhat challenging, partially because the yellow background tinted the Temple Guard Blue paint green. I did finish the shield, but in hindsight, the quartered designs may not work great with packs with yellow in their markings, such as Blood Claws and Wolf Guard.
 I freehanded Ragnar Blackmanes' Wolf Guard marking on the right shoulder pad. I have to say, I was a little surprised the design wasn't included in the standard transfer sheet supplied with the kits (unless they changed that when they changed the bases -- I still haven't bought any Adeptus Astartes kits with the new 32 mm bases, even the Sternguard still had 25 mm bases).

With the inclusion of the Pack Leader, my Blood Claws are now somewhat ready for combat, either in a drop pod (likely) or in a Rhino (maybe, I'd prefer either an assault vehicle or something to deliver them right in my enemy's face for them, though).

No comments:

Post a Comment