27 May 2016

Dreskor's Second Skybolt, painted

I've only recently learned to paint yellow properly. The yellows generally aren't as thick as most other paints. I have previously been overthinking it, thinking I need some particular brush technique or something similar. Turns out all I had to do was to use thin layers, but apply more of them. Really shouldn't have been much of a revelation, but we're all dumb sometimes.
 I'm pretty satisfied with the final pose. Appropriately to a particularly spirited, but unskilled and inexperienced assault trooper, he looks enthusiastic to fire his pistol, but his body language implies he's fighting against his own muscles. I doubt he's going to be very accurate with that pistol.
I also decided on the pack's markings. They're going to be Dreskor's Skybolts mentioned in the codex. This means I will also go back and redo the markings on the previous Skyclaw.
 The final old Blackmane shoulder pad turned out well. I painted a couple of layers of Averland Sunset, Yriel Yellow over that and finally thinned down Flash Gitz Yellow for highlight.
 I didn't want to leave the jump packs plain, so I painted a combat knife on it, a design often seen on Space Wolves transfer sheets. I also made a mental note to add some details on some of the other jump packs prior to painting.

This was the second Skyclaw model in the pack to have Mk.V armour. While this isn't surprising, considering I prepared for this project by buying a Mk.V Assault Squad from Forgeworld, I'll have to vary the pattern with the rest of the pack. I'm thinking about Mk.VI armours in addition to the standard Mk. VII armours.


No comments:

Post a Comment