20 March 2016

Wulfen Pack Leader

Like many others, when I first saw the new Wulfen models, I wasn't really sold. When designing werewolf Space Marines, they went for the flatfaced Wolfman type, which I never really liked that much, but more importantly for me, it seemed like GW continued with their style of making models that can only be assembled in one way. Of course, the typical multipart Space Marines are unusually easy to design to be modular, and it doesn't work as well with Wulfen, as they don't have armour plate covering most of their bodies, but looking at the newer Space Wolf character models, the situation doesn't seem to have improved. That's not what this post is about, though, so let's not go there.
 The standard Wulfen Pack Leader pose is, in my opinion, just awful. I can think of no situation where his "who wants a hug?" pose would make any sense, excluding him actually offering to hug someone, which would be just sad, considering that no-one would probably take that offer from a space-werewolf who hasn't showered in 10 000 years. So, I heated up my oven and reposed the torso to hunch over a bit. His loincloth seems to have lost a little detail, but nothing major. To direct attention away from any damage, I glued a medallion from the Wolf Guard Terminator kit next to it.
I hadn't glued his arms or head on at that point, so those were safe.
After reposing the body, I glued on the arms so that they looked like he might actually be fighting, or at least about to fight, with them. I used plenty of green stuff to fill in all the gaps.
Another thing I wanted to redo was the trophy rack. Xenos skulls are nice and all, but this was supposed to be a reminder of the Chapter's past, so I took a Mk. II helmet and remade it into a decorative Thousand Sons helmet. I imagine the Pack Leader having fought him during the burning of Prospero. To tie it in with the "current" 40k universe, I glued a post-heresy Thousand Sons head from the Thunderwolf Cavalry kit on the base.
As customary by now, I glued a Mk. II shoulder pad on his left shoulder and cut some chips on it. The trophy rack behind the helmet came from a ForgeWorld Space Wolves Dreadnought.
At first, I was planning to leave his right shoulder bare, but ultimately sculpted a tri-layered shoulder pad on it.
There's also another Chaos Space Marine helmet hanging from the power pack, to show that at no point after the Heresy did he stop fighting the oathbreakers.
 I may yet continue to add little details to the model before painting, depending on how long it takes before I manage to buy another undercoat spray bottle and how bored I get in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment