1 September 2015

Mk. IV Venerable Dreadnought with close assault weaponry

Bjorn the Fell-Handed is, appropriately, the HQ unit I have had ready for play the longest now. The dreadnought kit left a lot of pieces over, and I have had my eye on Forgeworld's Venerable Space Wolves Dreadnought for some time. The decision to order the resin body and combine it with the other parts came naturally.
 As awesome as the banner in the kit looks, I decided to leave it out, perhaps using it as a standard for a Grey Hunter squad in the future. I didn't think it would be right if some other Dreadnought had a banner larger and more impressive than Bjorn's.
Standard Blizzard shield looks good as it is, but I still wanted to add a wolf tail talisman, even if it was only out of stubborness.
 I felt like the double-headed Fenrisian great axe looked a little too bulky, so I trimmed it down, removing one of the blades and sculpting a wolf scull in its place. I also sculpted a couple of extra wolf tail talismans to add a sense of movement to the piece
The standard dreadnought chassis looks pretty squat, making it look in a way powerful, but also making it difficult for it to look dynamic. I decided to elevate one of the model's feet slightly. This gave the model a little more life.
The Dreadnought still needs smoke launchers. Green stuff doesn't lend itself too well for making mechanical parts. I'm thinking of sculpting a lot of decoration around the launcher tubes, possibly in a similar fashion to Bjorn's model.

No comments:

Post a Comment