27 September 2015

Contemptor-pattern Dreadnought w/ Kheres Assault Cannon

The Contemptor-pattern is a pretty imposing model. It's a fair bit taller than the standard Dreadnoughts, and is more anthropomorphic in shape.  The model is also much more articulated, with separate leg pieces that can be posed pretty much however you want. That much choice can be challenging, though, especially for someone like me, who prefers to glue as few pieces permanently together as possible before painting, so that I easier time painting all the armpits and whatnots on the models. In this case, I had a lot of trouble getting the model to stay in one piece, even with blu-tack. It's very likely that the final positions of the model's limbs will change slightly by the time I'm done.
 The standard Contemptor comes with the Imperial aquila on the front armour, and little other decoration. I decided that a piece as large as this needs plenty of decoration. The twin heads of Morkai was an obvious choice for a Dreadnought, but it left the lower part of the torso lookin somewhat dull. I decided to give it a stylized snarling wolf's face, extending it to cover part of the "stomach" with some extra armour.
 I wasn't that wild about the almost too human look of the Contemptor's feet, so I gave the model some claws. I thought they wouldn't probably be used as weapons so much as they would be for traction in treacherous terrain.
 The left pauldron has no sculpted decoration. I may add some knotwork designs in the painting stage, though.
The base ended up being somewhat more complicated than necessary (which is the way I like them). I added the front half of a Space Marine directly under/ behind the Dreadnought, and had him treading on another skeleton, that of either another Space Marine or an ogryn judging by the size.
The Contemptor pattern has a fearsome reputation among the Space Wolves, to the point where only exceptionally brutal warriors are interred in them. To make that point, I hanged a whole bunch of resin skulls and other heads from the right pauldron.

The chain hanging from the "chest" piece is not very visible in these pictures. I plan to fix that and add some wolf fangs to it to simulate a wolftooth necklace before painting it. I also have to decide which of the model's joints I want to remain fixed. As it is, it would be infuriating to try to paint it, with the model toppling over every few seconds and arms falling off at least once a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment