11 September 2015

Scratch built Eversor Assassin

You can only sculpt so many bearded viking-biker-werewolves before you want to add a little variety to the mix. I have liked Officio Assassinorum since my first foray into 40k during the 2nd edition, and the monstrous Eversor has always been my favourite of the temples. Though Nemesis was pretty far from my favourite Horus Heresy novel, it did manage to inspire me into sculpting an assassin. I may make one of each of the temples in the future, though it's possible, if not even likely, to take so long that the current Assassins codex will be outdated by then.

Because the Astartes are canonically always male, I haven't had many chances to try my skill at making female figures. It was mentioned nowhere in the fluff that Assassins had to be of either gender, so I took the opportunity and ran with it. I'm glad I did, too; the skull mask Eversors wear gave me a reason to take a deeper look into the differences between male and female skull shapes. Also, since the model would have to be muscular, it presented me with the challenge of making her body very muscular, yet keep it feminine.
 At first, I tried to make an Executioner pistol and just slap it on the model's back, but as I apparently need to be constantly reminded, green stuff doesn't lend itself well to sculpting mechanical forms or straight lines. So instead, I sculpted a holster on her thigh instead. The power sword ended up being a form of falchion. I reasoned that Eversors are typically dispatched against groups of enemies, and a thrust-centric weapon could easily get stuck in an enemy body. A large, vicious cleaver wouldn't have this problem.
 The sensor array on her back is hidden inside a backpack. I assume it's constantly feeding information directly to her brain and she wouldn't need to look at any kind of screens to receive this information.
The model did end up being a little taller than it should be to seamlessly fit to the scale of 40k, but then again, GW models aren't made exactly to scale either (just try fitting 10 space marine models into a Rhino). I'm reasonably satisfied with how the model turned out, but much more so with how much the project taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment