11 December 2016

Three Grey Hunters

Building a 40k army involves modelling and painting a few special characters with exotic wargear, a few elite choices and sometimes a few tanks, but most of all, it involves a lot of troops. To keep things interesting, I try to keep in mind that every Space Wolf is supposed to be a hero of his own right, and by the time they're Grey Hunters, they have a human lifetime of combat experience.

 I still have relatively few figures with long hair and long beard, even though it should be more or less the standard look for Space Wolves. I wanted to do something about that, so I gave the bareheaded Hunter both of the aforementioned. The model also has some grenades and a Phobos pattern bolt pistol on him.
 I ended up assembling a Mk.VI armour almost by accident, but decided to put a chapter-specific spin on it. I gave the helmet a reinforced nose guard (not that I think a power armour helmet really needed it, but it suits the look), put a wolf cloak on him and chose a pair of legs based on the Mk.VI armour from the Vanguard veteran kit.
The third of the models had a mixed armour, with Mk.V legs and Mk.VII helmet and torso. I wanted to have a model with bolter running forward, so I gave him a pair of hands from the Space Wolves Pack kit and an Umbra-Ferrox bolter. I also sculpted some reinforced "spectacle" form of extra protection around the eyes.

I intend to grow the pack to full 10 men, with no special weapons or pack-specific Wolf Guard leader. The plan is to give the pack a Rhino, drive to the opponent's deployment zone and just be a general nuisance.
I should have them painted by Sunday, assuming I still remember how Space Wolves in the newer colour scheme are painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment