18 December 2016

Three Grey Hunters, painted

I have a new pet theory for why Space Wolves' colour scheme changed. I previously thought it had become blueish gray gradually over time, until I read Leman Russ, the Great Wolf novella, where a new aspirant returns to the Fang, which had until very recently housed a Legion, but now was the fortress-monastery of a Chapter. The aspirant sees people in power armour of a mix of colours, some of them bluish, others gunmetal grey. My current head canon is that as the Wolf Brothers split from the Vlka Fenryka legion, they were given the Legion's colour scheme, and the Space Wolves changed theirs to another shade of grey. It has previously been established that the new Chapter was given fully half of all the men, fleet, and war machinery, and that the new branch was generally treated in a very egalitarian manner, compared to the Chapters split from many other legions, that treat their primogenitor chapter very deferentially. This can also be seen in the second founding Chapter's name, Wolf Brothers.

I don't know if this has already been confirmed or denied somewhere, just thought of this while painting these new three dudes.
 The Mk.VI armoured model was the first to be finished in this batch. I wanted to keep it simple, without many freehand shenanigans. I also decided not to paint the bolter casings red on this model, and maybe not in the whole pack. I wanted there to be some variety in my army in this regard, plus I just didn't want to paint them in such a bright colour.
 I again chose one of the pack markings from the Codex. This pack is named Soergar's Swordkin, which is appropriate, considering they will all have close combat weapons.
 The marine with spectacle protection ended up being one of my favourites. I wasn't sure how to paint the helmet, until I came up the idea of having it mostly metal colour. The slightly raised crest part was given a sawtooth pattern in red and the Chapter's grey.

The final one still isn't finished, due to my recently more busy schedule. There isn't much done, though, and I expect to finish him by the same time as my two latest Deathwatch models are painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment