27 November 2016

Leman Russ, Primarch of VI Legion

Last week, I mentioned that my Space Wolves could use some reinforcements with the upcoming Wrath of Magnus book (which I'm not sure if I have any non-lore reason to get, since it apparently only includes rules for Chaos Space Marines). Well, it's hard to imagine better reinforcements for Astartes than their gene-sire. Of course, the Horus Heresy Leman Russ model is set in the time he walked among his sons, but never mind that now. I suspect he'll be making a comeback to 40k fairly soon, possibly in a werewolf form, just so that he can repeat his match with Magnus.
 I usually do a fair bit of customizing my models, but aside the typically overdesigned sword with all the unnecessary spikes, and the slightly awkward-looking pose, I'm fairly happy with the model as-is.
I also kept the paintwork fairly unadventurous, with Mechanicum Standard Grey, shaded with Nuln Oil, highlighted with Dawnstone and highlighted again with Administratum Grey for base. I did want to depart from Forgeworld's display model, as I don't really see why Leman Russ would have green armour. Maybe that will be explained in their next Horus Heresy book, but I decided to base the model's paintwork on a piece of artwork published earlier this autumn.
 I wanted to have his wolf pelt white, to provide contrast for his dark armour. I also wanted to paint most of the gemstones on the model red, for the same reason.
The model, like apparently all of Horus Heresy Character Series models, came with a 40 mm base for gameplay purposes, that can be enclosed within a larger display base. The bases fit together relatively seamlessly.
 The scenic base has a slightly raised slot that the 40 mm base fits onto. The rubble, which I decided to paint mostly grey stone and slightly off white marble, makes the seam difficult to notice if one doesn't know where to look.
 Having added some blood to the neck of the decapitated head of the Thousand Sons legionary, I decided to add some to the scenic base as well, to keep the seamless look.
I can't help thinking the pose would work better if Russ' rear foot was on the ground as well, or at least slightly more bent at the knee and less at the hip. As it is, it looks a little like his rear leg slipped on the marble surface he was running on.

No comments:

Post a Comment