24 September 2015

Logan Grimnar, the High King of Fenris, painted

Painting my older sculpts is scary. Often a fault may be small enough to be nearly unnoticeable when sculpting, but painting brings it to a painfully clear focus. One example would be the first head I sculpted for my Ragnar Blackmane model, that had perfectly serviceable-looking nose when the whole head was still bright green, but once painted, poor Ragnar looked like he had taken a savage left hook to his nose.
Nothing too bad happened with my Logan Grimnar, though his eyes are somewhat asymmetrical and he could afford to have a little more ferocious look on his face. All that said, there's something that makes up for all this. In my eyes, at least, he looks a little like Christopher Lee. It certainly wasn't something I planned, as I don't think I currently could sculpt portraits in this scale if I tried, but now that it has happened, I can't think of a more appropriate Old Wolf. Rest in peace, Sir Lee.
On to the paintwork. I usually use bronze for the yellow/brown metal parts, but because Having just one part gold-coloured would have looked out of place and I wanted Fellclaw's head to be painted gold, I also decided to repeat the colour on his Belt of Russ, as well as the Imperial Eagle on the base.
 Grimnar has used the Axe Morkai since the first war for Armageddon, which is around 600 years, if I remember correctly, and I think that would be more than enough time to form a patina on the bronze parts. More importantly, the green hue accentuates the red blade nicely. I decided against painting patina on most pieces of his armour, though, since I feel like many of those parts would often require servicing by the Iron Priests and therefore be swapped for other compatible pieces of Terminator armour.
I'm fairly satisfied with my Logan Grimnar model overall. Sure, the sculpt could have been cleaner, but that's the problem with improving your skills; your newer work ends up putting your older work to shame.
 See the model before painting

No comments:

Post a Comment